Wow – I’ve been busier than … what? I don’t know. Busier than a writer fighting the urge to use a cliche, perhaps. Anyway… Since October, I:
1. Met Oprah Winfrey. And Gayle King. And hugged them both. On camera. After Oprah told me and 29 other military spouses that she was surprising us with $30,000 worth of her “Favorite Things.”
(yes – that is how big a smile gets when Oprah decides to shower you with gifts and affection.)
2. Put out two great, if I do say so myself, issues of CityView.
3. Had these articles published on Base Guide:
4. Had this commentary published by The New York Times:
5. Was interviewed for Gretchen Rubin’s website. (She’s the author of “The Happiness Project” and “Happier at Home”.)
6. Got three kids adorable for Halloween.
(yes, I realize there are 4 kids in this picture. See if you can figure out which one didn’t come out of my body.)
and a dog…
9. Started getting boxes of amazing stuff sent to my house. (I’m still getting stuff, by the way. Everyday is Christmas here!)
10. Started finding people to give the stuff I don’t need/want/think someone else could use more. (This, by the way, has actually been more fun than even getting the stuff myself. I’m getting a tiny taste of how much fun it is to play Oprah/Santa.) I’ll share some of the stories with you all later. There are some great stories.
11. Hosted a Thanksgiving Dinner — in a house I’ve lived in for eight weeks — that very quickly included 10 people I’ve never met before — and it was fantastic. Really, just lovely.
12. Single parented three kids and a dog (and, yes, Hank has been up to all his old tricks and some very expensive new ones) because my husband has only just this week received the promised orders that will allow him to move to Florida with the rest of the family. We’ve been waiting since spring.
13. Smiled. A lot. It’s been a busy, crazy and, all in all, fantastic couple of months.